One of our new favorite things is Central Market Organics brand Hatch Green Chile Tortilla Chips. They’re great by themselves, but now I’m dreaming of them as a delicious flavor ingredient. So, a fantastic Mexican egg dish is a good way to start. Then of course there will have to be several more recipes as the week goes on!
I decided to serve the migas with “Green Chile Mashed Plantains” instead of potatoes, because why not? The recipe is just below.
Mega Migas (Egg) Casserole
This is a great dish for a special occasion, for company, or just because you feel like it. It's definitely southwest, and definitely fabulous!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green and/or red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups slightly crushed Hatch Green Chile Corn Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup cooked cannellini or pinto beans
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-7 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or use milk
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder or hot sauce
- Grease a 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook pepper and onion until onion is translucent.
- Scatter crushed tortilla chips in baking pan.
- Scatter beans over all. Then scatter on cooked peppers and onions.
- Place cubes of cream cheese around tortillas and beans.
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
- Beat together eggs, milk, cream, dijon and dry mustard, and salt. Add pepper or hot sauce. Pour over everything in the pan.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or let sit 1/2 hour to an hour.
- Bake at 350° in a water bath for 1 hour.
- Serve with pico de gallo, salsa, or picante.
- Additions: cooked chorizo, cooked sausage, or cooked bacon, sauteed squash, sauteed nopalitos
Green Chile Mashed Plantains
- 3 green plantains
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2-3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Small clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles (or more)
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the ends off the plaintains, and cut each one into 3 pieces. Now slice each piece in half lengthwise and peel the skin off. Place all the pieces in a pan and cover with water. Add salt and boil until tender. Drain the water.
- Mash the plantains and add the butter, oil, and garlic. Continue mashing. They will not be as smooth as mashed potatoes.
- Stir in the green chiles, taste to see if you need salt and pepper.