This is a fabulous breakfast dish for the holidays or any time. There are lots of variations and I’ll give you a few of mine. Let me know what yours are!
Breakfast – Baked Oatmeal
All of you oatmeal lovers, you may never eat it any other way. Easy and delicious, my favorite combo.
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamon (optional- but it's so good)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/3 cups milk (I used 1 cup vanilla yogurt and 1 1/3 cups milk)
- 1 cup applesauce (or you could use mashed bananas)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In one bowl mix together oats, sugar, cinnamon, cardamon, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate large bowl beat eggs and mix in milk, applesauce, butter, and vanilla.
- Pour dry ingredients into egg and milk mixture. Combine well.
- Pour into prepared baking pan (like an 8 x 8).
- Let sit for at least 1/2 hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 350°
- Bake for about 40 min. It will be only slightly set in the center.
- Serve with fruit (dried, fresh, or baked) and nuts.
- Notes: If you use honey instead of brown sugar, reduce the milk by the same amount (if you use 1/2 cup honey, reduce the milk by 1/2 cup). Coconut milk would be a really good substitute for the milk. If you use coconut milk you could leave the butter out (coconut milk has a lot of oil content). Lactose free milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or rice milk make the dish lactose free.