BLT sandwich merges with a pizza, and voila, BLT Pizza Panini. The butter and parmesan make the outside of the panina crunchy and delicious. If you prefer a quesadilla spin on this recipe, use a large flour tortilla. To keep the ingredients from falling out, fill one half of the tortilla with the BLT goodies, fold over the other half, then grill.
If you decide BLT Pizza Panini is too much bother, try Pizza BLT.
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1 (10-12") ready-made pizza crust, cut in half
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese (cheddar, havarti, mozzarella, monterey jack)
- Cooked bacon slices.
- Romaine or green leaf lettuce, or arugula
- Italian dressing
- Grated parmesan
- Place tomatoes in a stainer set over a bowl, salt well, and let drain for about 1/2 hour, to remove a lot of the water.
- Heat flat griddle on stovetop.
- Smear mayonnaise on both halves of crust. I used the bottom of the crust for the inside of the sandwich.
- On one half of crust, lay tomato slices as closely as you like, or overlapping. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Lay bacon over tomatoes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Mix lettuce and dressing together. Lay lettuce on bacon layer. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Top with other half of pizza crust.
- Melt about a tablespoon and a half of butter on the griddle. When melted, smear to approximate size of panini, and sprinkle butter with parmesan. Lay panini on parmesan butter.
- Now, butter the side facing you and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Cook until parmesan melts and gets brown, flip, place bacon press or cast iron pan on top to weight it. Cook until other side brown.