My brother and cousin went up to Dallas for a doctor’s appointment, and on the way home, stopped at the farmer’s market in downtown Dallas, and brought back some great finds. The blackberries were huge, sweet, and perfect for a luscious blackberry cobbler. We added some peaches to make the cobbler big enough for all of us. I would’ve taken a picture, but it really wasn’t picture-worthy!
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter flavor
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 TBSP evaporated milk
- 8 oz sugar
- 10 oz brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (packed) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb blackberries
- 1 lb sliced peaches
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a small bowl mix together vanilla, butter flavor, lemon juice, egg yolk, and milk. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together sugars, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Place blackberries and peaches in a large bowl. Drizzle with liquid ingredients. Toss gently.
- Pour dry ingredients over berries and peaches. Toss well.
- Heat oven to 350°
- Melt butter in the baking pan (I use the equivalent of a half steam table size aluminum pan).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the milk, and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly over the melted butter in the baking pan.
- Now, if the slurry has started forming in your berry mixture, place them over the batter. Rearrange berries and peaches as necessary, to make sure you don't have too much batter in any one area.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and crusty.