Banana bread is one of our favorite things. However, years of trying different recipes, never gave consistent results. I got this recipe from my cousin, and it always turns out perfectly moist and delicious, the Best Banana Bread Ever.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup ground nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 325°
- With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each.
- Beat in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon together.
- In a small bowl mix milk and baking soda.
- Alternately add the dry mixture and the milk mixture to the banana mixture. (You'll have to stir the milk mixture every time you add it, because the baking soda settles.)
- Mix just until blended - do not overmix or the gluten in the flour will start developing.
- Remove from mixer and fold in nuts.
- Place in prepared pan and bake 35-45 min. I use a 9x13 Pyrex, but if you use metal you can raise the oven temperature to 350°. When done, the middle will have a few crumbs that stick to the toothpick.