I’m still thinking of recipes with the beef strip steaks on sale! This is a favorite recipe of mine that I got from a dear friend, more years ago than I care to remember.
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stick butter
- 2 pounds beef strip steak or tenderized round or sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 TBSP catsup
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 - 1 lb of egg noodles
- 3 TBSP butter
- Dried thyme
- Heat large skillet on medium high with 2-3 TBSP butter. Add mushrooms saute until just done, if they need more butter, add a bit more or use olive oil. Remove when done and set aside.
- Slice steak across the grain, then slice into strips.
- Using the same skillet melt 2-3 TBSP butter. Sear meat quickly, it should remain rare in the center. Do not put too much meat in the pan at once, work in batches if you have to. Remove and set aside.
- Still using the same hot skillet (make sure it's going to be big enough to hold sauce, beef and mushrooms) add 3 TBSP butter and saute onion for a couple minutes and add garlic to pan. Continue cooking until onion is slightly golden, about 5 min total.
- Remove from heat, and stir in flour, catsup, salt and pepper. continue stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add broth, bring to a simmer, stirring. Lower heat to continue simmering 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Over low heat add cream and stir until combined.
- Add sour cream and mushrooms, combine well. Now it can be left on low heat until you're ready to serve. Right before serving, put meat in sauce and heat thoroughly.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and turn into a bowl, add butter and thyme.
- Serve the stroganoff on top of the noodles.
- Add salad or green beans to make the meal. Hope you enjoy as much as I always do.