This is an easy yet delicious dish of East Indian origin which is usually made of spiced ground meat, usually lamb. It may be combined with mixed vegetables, potatoes or peas. It is wonderful served with rice.
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or less if you want less spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dried chili pepper ground in food processor (seeds removed)
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In large saute pan, heat butter and onions on medium heat till onions are tender. Add garlic, cook another 2 minutes. Add ground meat and brown.
- Add all dry spices including salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Add chopped dried chili pepper, cilantro, bay leaf, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water. Add frozen vegetables and simmer about twenty minutes.