In our house, beans and cornbread are a meal, but this recipe makes a much better side. It’s a quick and easy “put together,” and pretty darn delicious! I’ll tell you what I did, then use your favorite products.
Beans and Cornbread Pan Cake
- 16 oz cornbread mix ( I used organic)
- 1 can refried beans
- 4 oz shredded Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.
- Follow package directions on cornbread, but use a little less liquid. Place mixed cornbread in a greased 10" ovenproof saute pan. Use the oven temp on cornbread mix. If you want a thinner cornbread layer, use an 8 oz mix.
- Bake just until set, so not the entire time. Meantime, heat refried beans to loosen them, and if you want, stir in some spices (granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, etc).
- Smear beans on top of cornbread, then scatter shredded cheese on top.
- Place back in oven for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.