Buttery Ritz-like cracker! I saw this recipe in the Co-op magazine this month, and since I’m not a vanilla wafer lover, but do love good crackers, I decided to make it using my banana cream recipe. Years ago, I probably would’ve used Waverly crackers, but I’m not sure they’re even made anymore. I had a couple sleeves of buttery rounds from Trader Joe’s, so I tried them. For me, it was the perfect complement to the cream filling and bananas – not too sweet, good texture, and great hit of salt.
Banana Pudding Gone Crackers
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBSP cornstarch (packed, like you would brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 cups whole milk or half and half
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2-3 bananas, mashed well
- 2 sleeves buttery crackers
- 2-3 sliced bananas
- Cream mixture
- In a medium saucepan, stir together cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk in egg yolks and milk a little at a time, mixing well.
- Add butter.
- Heat and stir on medium until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, layer crackers, sliced bananas, and cream mixture. Create two or more layers, and end with crackers on top.
- If you can't wait until it's chilled completely, serve it warm.