This is an interesting side with fish, chicken, or even pork. If none of that works for you, eat banana corn fritters for breakfast with some maple syrup. However you decide to have them, they’re really good.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 medium bananas, roughly mashed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 2 TBSP milk or coconut milk
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 TBSP agave syrup (optional)
- Coconut oil or canola oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Mix banana, egg and milk, 2 TBSP coconut oil, and agave in another bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a large skillet on medium. Using about 1/8 cup of batter per fritter, cook until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer fritters to a greased baking sheet. Cook remaining fritters and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Makes 10-12 fritters