Delicious and easy – it’s a great main dish. You could make this recipe with chicken, if you don’t want fish, but it’s really good with fish. I added cooked and crumbled bacon to the pimento cheese.
Baked Fish with Pimento Cheese
- 1 lb white fish fillets - cod, mahi mahi, halibut, haddock
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2-3 TBSP cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pimento cheese, homemade or good quality
- 2 TBSP cooked and crumbled bacon
- Place fillets in dish and squeeze lemon on them. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400.
- Drain fillets and pat dry. Place in greased baking dish.
- Drizzle with cream and smear it on top of fillets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover fillets with sliced onion.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Move onions off the top of the fillets, scooting them to the sides or ends of baking pan. Mix pimento cheese with bacon and place a thin layer on each fillet. Return to oven and bake 2-5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Incredible served warm, but even cold this is a great dish.