It was a week for ribs, coleslaw, and baked beans (at Dot’s). Don says this picture doesn’t look like baked beans, but it is, and they’re delicious (there’s a strip of baked ham on top).
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (or use fat rendered from bacon)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups cooked beans, pinto or cannellini
- Strips of thinly sliced ham
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion, and pepper. Stir in bacon after a couple minutes. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Heat oven to 325°
- Stir in brown sugar and the next four ingredients.
- Stir in beans and heat well.
- Transfer mixture to a greased casserole dish. Top with strips of ham.
- Cover and bake for one hour. Uncover and cook for up to another hour, until it reaches the consistency you want.