This is my latest version of Lizzie’s Roasted Chicken. It’s always juicy and delicious. I moved the bacon from the top of the bird, for the picture.
- 4 lb chicken
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions, cut in thick slices
- 6 cloves garlic,smashed
- 6 small gold potatoes, boiled until partially done, then cut in thick slices
- Dried thyme and / or sprigs of thyme
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season well with salt, inside the cavity and the entire outside. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Let the chicken come to room temperature before cooking.)
- Heat the oven to 425°.
- Butterfly the chicken open by cutting along the neckbone / back. Lay the chicken flat and with the heel of your hand, press down on the breast bone to break it and flatten the chicken.
- Loosen the skin on each side of the breast bone, and slip 2-3 slices of lemon and 2 bay leaves under the skin on each breast half.
- In the bottom of a greased baking pan, place the potato slices, onion slices, any leftover lemon slices, and scatter the garlic cloves. Sprinkle thyme on everything
- Lay the chicken on top of the potatoes and onions, skin side up. Place any leftover potato slices around the chicken.
- Drizzle the chicken and any exposed vegetables with oil. Sprinkle thyme over everything, and grind pepper over everything.
- Roast 45 minutes, remove chicken from the oven, and lay strips of bacon over chicken and potatoes. Continue roasting another 45 minutes or until chicken is done.