Have a Bacon and Cheese Slaw Dog for an awesome, quick weekday meal. Then try it for game day. If a hot dog can make you happy, this is it! Just a word about hot dogs and bacon. Yes I know they’re good, and together they’re awesome! I use uncured Angus hot dogs, and I use uncured bacon. They are a little more expensive, but better than the cost of health problems that could result from eating processed meats (lunch meats, hot dogs, bacon, ham, etc.).
Bacon and Cheese Slaw Dog
- 8 hot dogs
- Slices of your favorite cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
- 10-12 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- Coleslaw (click here for the recipe - substitute Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning for the salt)
- Bread or hot dog buns, toasted
- Split the hot dogs open lengthwise and sear on both sides in a hot skillet using a press to weigh them down. Sear the cut side first, then when you flip it and sear the other side, at the last minute, add the cheese to melt on the hot dog.
- Place the bacon on the cheese.
- Put the hot dog on your prepared bun or bread.
- Top with coleslaw and mayo or mustard or whatever you prefer.
- Eat it up!