The romaine lettuce is doing so well in the greenhouse, that we just had to have a Caesar Salad. While I like regular Caesar dressing, I figured that avocado could only make it better, and it did.
- 1 head romaine and/or butter (Boston) lettuce, torn up
- Avocado slices
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon (Meyer lemon, if you have one)
- 1/2 TBSP grainy mustard
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Reserve avocado slices and cheese, until lettuce is dressed.
- In a small food processor, place garlic, and process to fine pieces. Add avocado and process to a puree.
- Add lemon, mustard, and anchovy and process again.
- Add oil, process, and taste. Add salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, toss lettuce with the dressing. Lay avocado slices on top, and sprinkle generously with cheese.
- We prefer no croutons.