I am so thrilled we have so much asparagus coming on. The challenge is to be able to come up with some new ways to use it. I left to take a walk after I made this recipe, and Don, who normally isn’t too interested in asparagus, ate all of it, before I got home! He didn’t know I needed a picture, so the next night, I picked enough to make it again (for the picture).
Asparagus with Garlic Cream
The sauce would also make an excellent dip for all kinds of vegetables, like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- Asparagus (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 1 TBSP anchovy paste
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 oz goat cheese (chevre) or cream cheese
- 1 TBSP capers
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Steam asparagus to crisp-tender stage.
- On low heat, in a small saucepan, heat cream, with anchovy paste and garlic cloves until reduced by half. If you use milk, keep in mind that it will curdle. I used milk this time, but when the sauce was finished, it really didn't matter that it had curdled.
- Add cheese to milk and stir until cheese is melted and combined well.
- Stir in capers and smoked paprika.
- Serve sauce over steamed asparagus spears.