Asparagus is one of the specials I like this week, and it’s pretty close to asparagus season for us. Go to Recipes to find more ways to use the specials this week.
Asparagus with Garlic Butter and Capers
- 1 1/2 lbs of fresh asparagus, cleaned
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp anchovy paste, or a couple whole anchovies (no substitute, just use them!)
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 TBSP capers, mashed with a fork
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Steam or grill asparagus until it's done to your liking.
- In a medium skillet melt butter. Stir in anchovy paste. Quit whining about anchovies and use them. I don't like them either except as background flavor. They add richness and saltiness you cannot get with anything else.
- Stir in garlic and do not let brown. Cook just slightly then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss butter, garlic sauce with asparagus. If you need more moisture, add extra virgin olive oil.
- This is a great side, but a spear on a small piece of toasted baguette with a slice of prosciutto and you have an appetizer. If you have leftover spears, chop them and combine with peas, rice, parmesan, sliced green onions, and a little more lemon zest for a different side.