A friend gave me this recipe several years ago. You could make this for an appetizer or a side, or if you’re like me, you could make a meal out of it. All I can say is they are unbelievably good.
- Thin to medium asparagus
- 1 pkg. of thin white or wholewheat sandwich bread
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of blue cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick butter
- Sesame seeds, sea salt
- Blanch the asparagus in simmering water, about 3-4 minutes. Once blanched immediately place in ice bath to stop the cooking. When cool, drain and set aside.
- Cut the crust off of all slices of bread. Using a rolling pin, roll bread out to be as thin as possible without the bread ripping. Set aside.
- Cream together the cream cheese, blue cheese, pepper, and egg.
- Take one slice of bread and spread on cheese and egg mixture. Place 1-2 asparagus (depending on the thickness) on the edge of the bread and roll up.
- Repeat this until you have reached your desired amount of roll ups. Melt the butter and brush on top of each roll. Lastly sprinkle the tops with any seed of your choice, or sea salt.
- Bake at 450 until tops are golden brown about 10 minutes.