This was the perfect bite after Easter dinner. I love the way the crust turned out. So it’s another great way for me to use the unbelievable pecan harvest we’ve had.
Apple Pecan Tart (Gluten Free)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 TBSP tapioca flour (starch), or use cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs peeled and cored apples, very thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP butter
- 3 cups pecans
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted if it's solid
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°
- You'll be baking the filling and the crust separately.
- For the filling: Liberally butter a 9x13 baking pan. In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients. Toss well with sliced apples, until you see a syrup start to form. Place apples in prepared baking pan. Dot with butter. Bake for 1 3/4 hours, stirring every half hour. Let cool before placing it in baked and cooled crust.
- For the crust: Lightly grease a 10" tart pan (or use a springform pan). In a processor, finely grind the pecans. Add the rest of the ingredients and process well. Press mixture into bottom and sides of tart pan. Refrigerate for an hour to firm the crust and make sure it doesn't shrink when baked. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool before filling.
- Once you've placed the apples in the crust and smoothed the top down, refrigerate. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream.